Monday, February 1, 2010

I've been AWOL

I know I have been AWOL. I realize that and I'm sorry. These past few days have been a
complete whirlwind and I haven't had time for much other than eating, sleeping, and walking.

So here's a quick update:
I have moved into my room near the Bastille, which is a quarter of Paris in the 11th arrondissement. Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements beginning with the very first one in the heart and center of Paris where the cathedral Notre Dame and the famous museum that houses the infamous painting by Leonardo Da Vinci, La Joconde, or more famous among us Americans, the Mona Lisa rests, the Louvre. The arrondissements disperse in numerical order from the center and out in a snail like matter.





So technically speaking I'm relatively close to the center, meaning walking distance to the Notre Dame and many major historical buildings. Place de la Bastille, alone has very significant history in the French civilization. Here is where the Bastille prison stood and where the famous "storming of the Bastille" took place on 14 July 1789. Today this quarter hold lots of that remembrance of the past but has mixed it with the new and modern amenities such as shops like Sephora and American fast foods like McDonalds, Subway, and Starbucks. Not that this quarter doesn't hold the special French charm with its local small cafes and small alleys leading to more shops and street life, this quarter is the place to be for a student like me.

I started school today and I have to say I really didn't want to start yesterday but today I am happy to be back in school. I needed structure in my life once again. After a month of being in Paris I have come to realize quite a bit in the past month and I am happy to have school to clarify the cultural differences I had not noticed before. Deeper issues that circulate the French government on a daily basis are what have got me conflicted. For example the whole Burka business here in France. Before this trip I never realized the significance of this issue in France relative to the world and of the women subjected to wearing burkas. This issue made me realize that Paris isn't really this magical place where everything is peachy and keen. Real problems of security exist all over the world.

I feel extremely blessed and lucky to be experiencing yet another trip to Paris and Europe. So as of right now I have been touring new friends around the city that I love so much, making them love it just like I love it. <3

till next time Have a beautiful day/night!

No comments:

Post a Comment